Today for work we went out to Berkeley to check out some local vendors. To my surprise, there were so many local foodmakers and artisans just a few blocks of where I live! We first visited The Berkeley Kitchens, which is a food hub for food artisan makers. The Berkeleyside wrote an article about it and you can check it out here. Within The Berkeley Kitchens, we met the makers of Baron's Baking, Muffin Revolution, Living Hypothecary, Ruby Roast Coffee, Nuthouse Granola, Morell's Bread and Shrub & Co. As always, it was a neat experience being able to meet the people behind all the amazing food that is being produced here in the Bay Area. Besides tasting all the delicious food, here were some cool history facts I learned about each of the vendors:
- Baron's Baking - Tom, the owner, started the company about 2 years ago. He was a expediter in the restaurant business and personally loved baking so he decided to start his own company. He works really hard - 12 hour days, 7 days a week.
- Muffin Revolution - I'm not paleo, but Marirose and Christy, the founders, create amazing and delicious palo muffins and soon to come granola. They started their business after a local climbing gym, Ironworks, asked them to sell their muffins there. I can't wait for these muffins to be sold at Whole Foods. I can see myself eating them on the go after swim practice.
- Living Hypothecary - The owner started this company while she was a waitress (and still is) with another co-worker at the restaurant who was a mixologist. She creates great juices, kefirs and vegan milks. She's launching a tumeric almond milk which is soo good.
- Ruby Roast Coffee - A coffee roastery owned by 2 sweet ladies. They started their business through their pure love of coffee.
- Nuthouse Granola - These guys started their business after being in the hotel industry. The owner wanted to have a side business and when the hotel requested his granola, he started his company to sell to hotels and other retailers. He has a Orange and Fennel granola which is really unique and delicious!
- Moller's Bread - Eduardo is a self-taught baker who makes bread from whole grains. He had a Master's in Filmmaking and he always cooked to make money. He hopes to start a read subscription service and I'd sign up!
- Shrub & Co. - Their ginger shrub is the best shrub I've tried. A deep ginger flavor without any sugary aftertaste. The founders have background in the beverage and farming industry and are a power team!
After the visit at The Berkeley Kitchens, we walked a few blocks up to San Pablo to Jered's Pottery. I've driven by this place soo many times and didn't realize it's kind of a famous place. It's like a Heath Ceramics, but a different version and in the East Bay. They use local California Clay to make their pottery and all the pieces were lovely in this place! You should check out Jered's profile for his history - it's pretty cool. Plus, his wife Sarah is the poet laureate of Emeryville! One day I dream of having an entire dining set of Jered's Pottery!
I'm heading to Europe in 2 days! And as usual, I haven't started packing and probably will be scrambling to pack the right things in my luggage tomorrow night. This is the first time I will be traveling for work internationally!
I'm heading off to Emilia-Romagna, Italy for a Whole Journeys Team Member Educational Trip and then spend some personal time exploring the Allgäu region in Germany.
Why am I going to Italy for work?
- To learn where our Parmesan cheese, prosciutto, and other Italian products are sourced.
- To experience a Whole Journeys trip. Whole Journeys is Whole Foods Market travel agency company. They organize food related vacation trips.
- To eat good food. :)
Anyways, I'm super thankful and excited to be heading off on another adventure.
Stay tuned for more details! This time I plan to document my travels everyday!
One woman I look up to in the work & fashion/lifestyle world - Eva Chen, Lucky Editor-in-Chief!
She really stays true to what she says here in the video. I've reached out to her on her blog and Instagram and she's always replied back to me. If you don't follow her on Instagram, you should @EvaChen212.
Eva Chen is one of my role models in life!